Pacific Cod Provençal
- 2 fillets Wild Alaskan Pacific Cod, cut into 6 equal portions
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons shallot, minced
- 4-6 fillets anchovy, minced
- ¼ cup capers, rinsed
- ½ cup mix of kalamata and green olives, whole
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, peeled or crushed
- 3 medium sized fresh tomatoes, diced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil for garnish
- *Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Season fish very lightly with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed sauté pan or cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Once heated, add olive oil to pan and evenly coat.
- Add garlic to heated pan and sauté until just soft and translucent.
- Add anchovies and capers and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add olives and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes, if using, and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add white wine and simmer until the pan is almost dry and the sauce is light and syrupy.
- Add canned tomatoes. If using whole canned tomatoes, use your utensils to crush and break down the tomatoes further while cooking - or substitute crushed tomatoes.
- Lower heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Add fresh diced tomatoes and thyme sprigs.
- Using a slotted spatula or spoon, carefully submerge cod portions into pan and baste with sauce.
- Cover with a loose-fitting parchment lid* and transfer to preheated oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, checking periodically for doneness. Cod is finished when it begins to flake away.
- Garnish with fresh basil, parsley and a healthy drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.